De-stressing, Relaxing, Chillin' - Whatever You Want to Call It

Hello, everybody! I haven't been on here for what seems like aaaaages and I'm truly sorry for not writing anything - but due to the fact that this blog is my very own thing, I don't want to push pressure on myself to post - short: If I don't feel like posting, I don't.

As you may or may not have noticed - it depends on what half of our dear planet you live - it is autumn! And for those who don't know yet: I absolutely, truly, carelessly, love autumn and always will. I love everything about it, I like how it gets cooler, but not really cold, I love that everything becomes orange and red, I love that you have an excuse for cuddling up in bed with a warm blanket and a hot tea (I also do that in summer sometimes but I tend to feel a bit hot throughout these summer-cuddles), I love literally everything about it. I know loads of people don't like it when it starts getting darker a few minutes earlier everyday and everything becomes cold and wet - but look at the bright side: We get to see what I'd define as the most beautiful form of nature!



So - Stop the rambling, start the real talk: I want to write a bit about relaxing and all that stuff. I am very well aware of the fact that basically everybody in the internet community is currently talking about it, either in videos, blogs, or whatever else there is. Although I really dislike riding the mainstream-train, I feel like this is a topic that really deserves to be talked and written about this much. De-stressing, relaxing, chillin' - whatever you want to call it, it's important. 

For me personally, the last few weeks have been, well quite a rollercoaster. I had a hard decision to make and as I am - hating changes and everything that comes with it - the fact that I knew I had to choose between staying where I am or choosing to change my directions for a bit freaked me out quite a bit. I ended up changing said direction for my own sake - but still find myself awake in bed at 1 AM contemplating whether or not it was the right decision. I'm writing about this because this is, at the moment, definitely the thing in my life that stresses me out the most and that leaves me a mess again and again - so about a week ago, I figured something had to change. I'm currently on holiday - what means less school stress - but more time to worry. Being a professional over-thinker and worrier doesn't make that a lot better so when I was, again, sitting in my bed in the middle of the night, nearly having a panic attack because I didn't know whether my choice was the right one, I decided that it could not continue like that. 

And I'm rambling again, sorry, sorry, sorry.

So what did I do then? 
The organized self I am (sometimes), I certainly made a whole plan in my head with all the things I wanted to do to let my brain relax. The first thing that popped into my mind was that I had to get rid of everything to do with the internet for a little while. Whenever I can't sleep or want to distract myself from thinking about certain things, I grab my phone or a computer and go on all my social medias to see what other people do. Seeing other people's seemingly perfect lives doesn't really make you feel better if you're not feeling too well yourself so I figured I had to put that away. 


So I spent the next day without my phone on me, without spending any time on the computer or watching any TV - I didn't even use my iPod to listen to music. After having done that, I can now tell you that this was one of the best thing I have ever done. Electronic tools give you so much control, you can do with them what you want, they (usually) do what you tell them to, which, obviously, appeals to the majority of humanity - and by giving up these things, although only temporarily, you also give away a bit of your control. It's minor, but has so much effect.

For those who think they'll be bored without their phone: Oh dear, yes you will. But after about an hour of sitting at my desk and thinking of ideas what to do that don't include the internet, I had ideas. The ideas are there, you just have to wait for them to come out.


The next thing I did on my little relaxing day was go out. By going out I don't mean go out with friends, but go out alone. It doesn't have to be a three hour walk through the woods - what I did was I went to town and bought a few things I needed. I know this doesn't sound exactly relaxing but because I was on my own and I wasn't in a rush, I took all the time I needed, it was. I also took a book with me (Harry Potter, of course) and went to sit on a bench and read for a bit. In a big city this will probably be a bit more of a problem, but if you live in a small town like me, it's just relaxing and calming. 


Another part of my experience actually surprised me a whole lot; I decided that it was time for me to be less lazy and move my body for a bit, so I rode my bicycle to town. I would have never thought that physical activity could be relaxing - it most definitely really depends on how you see it, but it was also relaxing. Plus it made me feel good about myself because I never, NEVER, ride my bicycle. Don't get me wrong, if you push pressure on yourself, tell yourself that you have to do this much exercise, complete this many tasks - that's never going to be relaxing. But if you just take it slow and easy, it's going to be good.


The last thing that kind of happens itself when you do all the stuff above, is avoid any kind of rushing. Take it slow, you have all the time on earth. Also try to do these things on a day you know you don't have any meetings, appointments or a loads of homework. Take a day off and be in your own world. Maybe, it depends on the type of person you are, it's also good to be a bit anti-social every once in a while. I didn't really talk to anyone that day (I was home alone hahah) and that was definitely very relaxing but I can also imagine that this would be very stressful for others.

If these things might don't seem relaxing to you, but let me just tell you: You can relax your mind but still be productive. You can actually do things but at the same have me-time and de-stress.

All in all, to say it all without the rambling in between:

  • get away from the internet and technology
  • get out of the house
  • maybe do some physical activity
  • take it slow

I hope I helped you at least a tiny little bit! I will see you soon :) xx






Popular Posts