A Few First Attempts of Analog Photography

Hello my fellow internet people! A whole lot has happened since the last time I was on here - and to be honest I have not been too well in the time between this and the last post, but that's not what I'm here to talk about today so I'm not going to. There's also a lot going on in the world at the moment, with the election of the United States' new president and stuff, but because of the fact that I have definitely expressed my feelings towards the rather horrific and sad result of the election enough throughout the past week, I don't want to tear you down with more taking about it - especially since it won't change anything anyways.


However, I have been somewhat productive in the past few weeks - I have been trying out analog photography for quite a while now, but because the film rolls and the developing is not exactly the cheapest thing on earth it's always a bit difficult to write about it on here because I tend to take a lot of pictures with friends and family (Because they end up having more meaning to me than a simple shot of a bicycle) which I'm obviously not going to put on here... I've still managed to get a few decent shots though! Well, I have to admit, analog photography is a lot more... I wouldn't say difficult but it's quite a bit different from digital photography. You can't just take tons of pictures of the same thing because you'll run out of film. You can't just take out your camera and start shooting - there's always some sort of button on the camera that wants to be pressed before you can actually start taking pictures.

Though this way of old-fashioned photography is definitely a lot more complicated and time consuming than just regular photo-taking, I have to admit that I've grown to like it a whole lot. I don't know whether I've mentioned it before but the thing I love about photography the most, is that you can literally capture a moment in a picture and look at it forever. The idea of just taking a moment and freezing it into a photo is just so dazzlingly beautiful to me that I don't really know how else to explain it than just very very awesome - and when the picture you take is so unquenchably burned into a piece of film it's even better than when it can be deleted by pressing a few buttons. I know you can twist things and moments by taking pictures from certain angles or by leaving things out of the picture, I know pictures are very easily manipulated and made into something they're not, but doesn't that just make it even better?

Enough rambling, I'm trying to get to my point; First of all, I am very well aware of the fact that I absolutely have no clue of what I'm doing when it comes to photographing with old cameras, and I also want you to know that I'm the last person to give you any advice on it. I know where to pull the strings and sometimes manage to figure out how to make an analog camera work but that's all. Anyways, as I'm still exploring the actually-not-so-new-anymore terrain and I want to document my hopefully-to-be-existing progress at it.

The two cameras that I have (found them somewhere in the house so I sadly can't tell you whether you can actually still buy them, sorry) are the Nikon FG and the Lomo-LC-A.
I was a bit sceptical about putting the stuff from the lomo camera at first because lomography is such a huge field of art and there could easily be written pages about it, but due to my cluelessness and lack of experience I decided to put them in together anyways.

Nikon FG
The Nikon FG is very big and heavy and therefor not very handy to take with you on trips. When I want to take a few pictures with the Nikon camera I always have to go out just to do so, which can be annoying and which also makes it very hard to actually take 36 pictures without getting too curious and developing the film roll before having shot the whole of it.



Both of these pictures were taken with the Nikon FG camera and I'll admit I'm quite proud of them. I have edited them a little bit, so if you decide to do some analog photography, don't be disappointed if the pictures don't look quite as bright and saturated as those two, you can easily add that by a little editing.

Lomo lc-a
The lomo is very small and handy, which makes it a lot easier to just take it with me and take a picture here and there so the film rolls fill up a lot quicker - whether or not to consider this a good or a bad thing can be argument over.



These are two pictures taken with the lomo camera but I have to warn you! The fancy colourful yellow-red thing on the picture is not on there for fun and because I'm such a skilled photographer and managed to make it look like this somehow - no! It's there because I was dimm enough to let the back of the camera open before having fully unloaded the film - which then led to a few ruined and pitch-black pictures - and about three pictures with random colour-y shades on them.

Okay, I think that's all for today.... I wrote this post in a hurry and didn't have time to reread and check it through so there might be a few typos and unlogical sentences - sorry for that. Also, sorry for posting so little lately and I don't even have an excuse, I really just didn't want to post and as I've said so many times before: When I don't feel like posting, I don't post.

Have a very very very nice day (or sleep) and I'll see you as soon as possible :)


Popular Posts