Planet Earth

Hello, hello, hello! It's 2017! What an exiting new year that's laying here right ahead of us all. I know I'm late on this, very late to be honest, but I still want to wish you a very very happy new year! 

Now I'm aware that the topic I want to write about in today's post is not the most positive subject and there might be better times to spread awareness about it than now but because of the fact that the start of a new year means - among other things - 'change for the better' to many people I reckon it's still an acceptable timing to talk about it now. So... As you have probably already guessed from the title anyways, today's post is all about our planet. [WARNING: First of all this is most definitely going to be a long ass post and secondly I don't mean to offend anybody and I hope you can take in as a try to do something good for our planet instead of taking this as a personal attack]


The reason why I even thought about writing about this is that I have recently been on a little winter holiday - if you want to call it that. Basically, here in Switzerland we're used to a lot of snow and cold temperatures and there's never been a winter in that short life of mine in which I have seen so many brown and green plants around in December. The area I went to is pretty high up in the mountains and I've spent my winter holidays there ever since I was very little and I'm not lying or even exaggerating when I say that there's never been this little snow there.

I mean, it looks absolutely gorgeous but in January?! It's supposed to be all coated by a white cover of snow.
The fact that you are reading this post means you have a computer or a similarly luxurious electronic device. This means you probably live quite a modern lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that, not at all - but I would like to make people more aware of the fact that it's not like this everywhere - and more importantly: that our way of living causes serious problems and has an undeniable effect on our planet. 

I used to be a very 'natural' child. Back in the day three years old Solange decided to go for a walk in the forest near our house - an action that caused huge worry and fear within my parents because little Solange forgot (or maybe I just didn't see the need to tell them what I was up to, haha) to inform them. To me it was nothing but a casual walk in the woods which was nothing unusual - except that usually, my parents or another adult were with me. What I'm trying to tell you by this is that I am a person that really likes nature. Seeing the nature change now is not the most encouraging and beautiful thing.

As all of you know, for the past few years our planet has changed - temperatures go up, ice melts, all that scary stuff. And NO, climate change is not just a hoax invented by the Chinese people. Our climate is changing and as much as I know we're the last generation that has any chance of doing something about it - so why is so little being done? I'm very well aware of all the conferences and all the talk about stopping climate change but why does everybody just keep talking about it but nobody (including myself!) is actually taking actions? I once heard or read somewhere that humanity is very good at recognising a problem but solving it is often a lot harder. I think that's pretty accurate.


As a little attempt on actually doing something against it I would like you to read the following five questions and answer them for yourself.

  1. Is it necessary to have the radiator heating up the house to 20 degrees Celsius just so you can walk around the house in a t-shirt in December? Or is it easier to simply wear warmer clothes?
  2. Do you really need to take a short distance flight that only takes half an hour? Why not take a train?
  3. How important is it to eat strawberries and tomatoes in December or January? Is it really so bad to wait until summer or spring when these fruits/vegetables can grow in your area and don't have to be shipped/flown/driven from the other end of the world?
  4. Do you need to eat meat every day? Is is that important? Or is it enough to eat meat maybe once a week?
  5. Do you have to drive to school/work? Is there absolutely no way around it?

I know most of you probably (and hopefully) don't do most of these things. Still I would like to point out why all the things listed above are things that should be avoided as often as possible.

  1. Radiators need lots of energy. More heating means more energy is used. It's enough to have your room on 18 degrees Celsius - it might be a bit chilly but there are always sweaters and covers that can warm you.
  2. Flying from Zurich to London, taking a plane to go from Hamburg to Berlin, flying from San Francisco to Los Angeles... I think you get what I'm trying to say. I certainly don't know what the public transport situation is like in the USA and most other places but please - is it necessary? Is it such a huge disaster to travel one or two hours longer in a train? Flying is such a huge part of the anthropogenic climate change (anthropogenic = change of climate caused by humans) and I do genuinely believe that the number of people flying around the globe could be highly reduced by simply reducing laziness.
  3. I know strawberries are healthy and all but think about earth's health, too. What is the bright side of being a healthy individual when the planet we all relay on is slowly but surely being - to be a bit dramatic for once - destroyed?  I know you can survive without a plate full of tropic fruit in December when it's snowing outside.
  4. I know, I know, trust me I know. I'm not trying to tell you to become a vegetarian - I'm not vegetarian myself - but think about it. The problem with meat is (other than the fact that animals are slaughtered and sometimes mistreated) actually quite ridiculous. Well, cows fart. And those farts are not at all good for the atmosphere. Plus there are square miles and square miles and square miles (...) of rainforest being chopped down simply to have more meat. (This topic is a whole other post!)
  5. I mean, what else can I say? Do you really have to? 

Okay. Maybe you think these things are completely ridiculous. Maybe it is. But the most important thing is that we are not only aware of climate change but that we do something. It's a topic that's shoved under the table ways too often and displaced by our society and all that only because we're not necessarily the ones affected by the aftermath of climate change. The affected are the people on islands in the pacific ocean that have to leave their homes because the islands are drowning in the sea, affected are all the countless animals in the 'Arctica' and Antarctica that are ceasing because they don't have a place to life. And I think we all know that I could go on for a very long time.

This post is here to be a reminder. To every single reader and also to myself. Take action! 

Now, as I said, this is not the lightest topic to start the year with but maybe I have managed to make it one of your goals of 2017 to be more considerate about our planet...?

Have a nice day and keep this post in mind, xx




What are your ways of 'trying' to make a change?


Popular Posts