Phone Photography

Hello there! Believe it or not - I'm back for the fourth time this week (!!!) and I'm ready to share the first non-deep-thoughts-related post of the month with you! Now without any further rambling: Today's post is going to be all about Phone Photography. If you're a bit unsure what that means... Basically I'm trying my best to tell you all I know about taking pictures with your phone.


As a proud owner of an iPhone SE I'm lucky enough to own a phone with quite a high quality camera (which is, after having lived with a crappy brick-phone that could barely take any pictures for two years before said iPhone, a huuuuuge blessing). The iPhone SE has the same camera as it's sibling (iPhone 6) and has a quality of 12 Megapixels. This means (and now it's getting technical folks!) that there are 12 x 1 Million (=12'000'000) Megapixels on a picture taken with this camera. That's a lot. Still I don't want to guarantee you that the information I just gave you is 100% true. Sorry guys, I'm not actually too good with camera related technology-things. Still learning though ...

SOOOoo now that we've got the theoretic part behind us: A few facts about my relationship to phone photography:
  • It's most of the time only my last escape when I find myself cameraless in a very inspired situation
  • I find it very difficult
  • I never used to like it very much
So now that you know that I'm not actually the biggest fan of taking pictures on a phone that are supposed to be more than a cute little selfie with your best pals you might ask: Why would you do a whole post about it then? 
Well, the answer's quite simple. As somebody that tends to say 'no' pretty easily to new and unknown things (definitely something I need to work on!) I have basically given up on phone photography back in the days when I used to have a phone with a camera of 2 Megapixels and no such thing as a focus because I just looked at it as such a hopeless field of photography. So obviously I got verrrrry exited when I finally got hold of a phone with a more than acceptably good camera and decided to give it another shot - something I haven't regretted a second!

!Little Disclaimer: I have tried to use mostly unedited pictures but I couldn't find all the originals. The edited pictures are all marked as edited. + most of the pictures are probably not at a quality of 12MB anymore due to imports, edits and more.!
A few tips for phone photography:
  • AE/AF-Lock comes in pretty handy! Basically what this is (sorry for anybody with an android phone, I don't know whether you have that too, maybe it's just on iPhones :/), is that you can lock the focus, 'aperture' respectively the exposure and just any general camera setting to one point by pressing onto the part of the screen you want the focus to be on until it says 'AE/AF-Lock' on the top of the screen. This is very useful if you want to take a blurry picture like you will see on the following picture of the trees (just lock the focus on something close, like your hand and then remove it from the screen before taking the picture)
 
AE/AF-Lock
  • Never use a filter whilst taking a picture! This is not only a rule for when you take pictures on your phone. When you take a picture, with any camera, any kind of filter has to be off. I have made that mistake many many times and my sister has told me over and over again not to do it because she's not only older but also a little smarter than me but I wouldn't listen - Just listen now. Don't do it. Why? First of all it'll force you to up your photography game if there's no filter to make the picture prettier. Second of all you will never stumble across the problem of not having the original version of the picture anymore (I have so many black and white pictures that have lost colour forever because of that!). Also it makes editing a lot more fun!
  • Depth of field & defocus in the background... Well, as much as I can say that I'm a great fan of the iPhone cameras - their depth of field is not great. Of course it matters what you compare it to - there are a lot worse phone cameras out there! Still the background defocus is not huuuge - understandable as there's no such a thing as an actual 'lense' or whatever you call that on the phone. In order to get a proper depth of field you need a preeeeeetty long lense and that's not what you have or want on a phone.
The picture shows that there is quite a blurr in the background - just not as much as with an actual camera (obviously!).
  • Wide angled pictures and landscapes! This is the follow up to the most recent point - because of the fact that there's not a huge depth of field it's easier to take a landscape picture or just generally rather wide angled pictures. At least that's what I've found to be the most successful and easy kinds of pictures to take. 

  • Motion. Well, because there's no way to manage the shutter speed on a phone (because there's no thing like a shutter or at least it's been hiding from me forever) it's quite difficult to capture motion without everything getting blurry - a problem I haven't quite solved yet. One way to deal with this is to simply take a video and later go on and take a screenshot - a method that works quite well but decreases the quality majorly! The following picture is a screenshot I have taken from a video.
  

Well, well, well. I could talk about this foreveeeer. Still I don't want this post to become as long as some others on here, haha, so if you want to see more, leave a comment and I'll maybe do a part two...? I hope you enjoyed it because I sure did enjoy writing it! I'll see you soon in another post of mine (and if I continue posting as untypically much as recently you won't have to wait long, I promise) and I hope you're having a grrrreeeeeat day!

xx

Popular Posts