More Tips & Tricks for Better Studying

Hi, hey, hello, how's everybody doing? As for me, school has completely taken over once again and I know I write this all the time but that's just the truth. However, today I've found a little space in my schedule and I'm going to use it to try and help a few of you with your school-stuff. I have done another post on this subject already and you can check it out here.


I'm in no way the perfect student and there surely are times when a bit more effort and work could be put into my schoolwork and to be quite honest - homework is something I stopped doing in 5th grade (who hasn't?!). Still I like to consider myself not too much of a bad student and I've passed all my exams fairly well up until now which gives me reason to entitle myself able to give you advice. 

To stop blowing my own trumpet here - I'm just going to stop rambling and get right into it: Here come 5  more ways that make it easier to study and keep things in the part of your brain they're supposed to be (at least they work pretty well for me)!


1. Get it over with! 

I know this is much easier said than done. Procrastination seems to be rooted somewhere deep in humanity's heart and the only way to overcome it is by simply stopping to do it - a task most of us often struggle to do, myself included. So if you're ever in a situation again in which you find yourself procrastinating, think logically. If you have to do it one way or another there's really no point in postponing it, is there? This obviously doesn't only go for studying but for anything else worth procrastinating - if there's no way around it, procrastination is only going to make it worse. I think we all have experienced that everything, EVERYTHING, is much much much more fun if you don't have a voice in the back of your head telling you that you still have that assignment to finish.

2. Timing

There are always two kinds of people; one starts studying for the exam 3 weeks in advance, the other one starts the night before. In my opinion, both these techniques don't really work out. If I had to choose between the two, I'm probably more likely to be the one starting the day before but let me tell you, stuffing it all in your head in a minimal amount of time is not the way it works. You may know it all during the test but a few days or weeks later you won't remember much and as we all know that's not exactly the point of studying.
So my tip for this is not to start weeeeeks in advance -  a few days are enough! I usually start studying about two days in advance and I think with that I've found the balance pretty well.


3. Repeat repeatedly

I guess this one's pretty self-explanatory. Repeating things is what makes your brain remember whatever said thing is. Once reading through the book might not be enough to know it all (though I know a few smart people that can get away with that) so for the ones of us that don't have a photographic memory and aren't a genius in general - repeating things makes it all easier. It make take up a bit more time but especially for vocabulary in foreign languages this is the number one key.

4. Go back to it

Like the previous one, this tip comes in very handy when you're studying for languages. Personally I learn three foreign languages at school (my mothertongue is German and I have French, English and Italian as subjects at school) and I've come to find this a very good method of trying to get into the right state of mind.
Try to think about the words when you’re doing something else; let's say you're eating an apple - how would you say 'apple' in Italian? You might even be able to translate your thoughts into whatever language you’re trying to study for? All I know is that after having been ‚thinking‘ in French for a while it’s much easier to remember words and also generally the way sentences are formed and things like that.

5. State of mind
This one is a bit difficult to explain - when you study you have to be in the right state of mind. You need to be open to learn new things, there has to be a certain level of concentration and you shouldn't be distracted by any annoying thoughts. An hour of studying is worth a five minute read if you weren't concentrated or uninterested in the subject. 
This can obviously quite problematic because everybody has subjects that don't fit into their field of interests - mine for example is geography (ugh). I hate geography and you can certainly see that it's not my favourite subject by looking at my marks - still I just try to tell myself that it's interesting whenever I study for a geography test. Doesn't always work but surely makes a teeny tiny bit of a positive difference.



Well I hope these tips help you study for your next exams, as mentioned before; for a few more tips check out my previous post from October called A Few Tips and Tricks For Better Studying (throwing the shameless self-promo out there again :) )!

see yah



to see a little something to brighten your day click here.

Popular Posts