Flower Photography


Hello. If you've ever seen my instagram, you'll know that I spend a lot of time taking pictures of flowers. In my gallery you'll most definitely also find one or another flower. The reason behind my big supply of pictures of all kinds and shapes of flowers isn't that I love flowers particularly much or that I'm some sort of flower-lover  - no. The reason is much simpler - flowers are easy to find and always make a nice sujet. So whenever I don't have the time or motivation to go on big hikes in order to take any kinds of landscape pictures I can easily just go into the garden and take a few nice pictures.

So due to the fact that I've recently spent a rather large amount of time in the garden, looking like an absolute maniac whilst passionately staring at flowers and bushes in order to figure out the best possible angle to photograph any flower that crosses my way, I think it's safe for me to say that I've gained enough experience in flower-photographing that I'm able to give a few tips.

General Tips and Tricks:
  • Flowers are naturally very symmetrical. Therefore it's always a good idea to place them in the centre of the picture.
  • Use many different colours and shapes
  • If you pick the flowers make sure to use a background that is either...:
    • ... natural looking or...
    • ... non-distracting from the flowers (e.g. plain colours)
  • If there's multiple identical flowers in your shot, make sure to focus on only one or two, the others easily serve as a nice background.
  • Natural lightning is your best friend.

Category 1: Quick and Easy Little Snapshots in the Garden

iPhone SE

iPhone SE
iPhone SE


I have two different kinds of ways to do the whole flower-photography thing. This first one ↑ is simply going outside, without any sophisticated camera gear (which, in my case, means with only my iPhone SE) and just taking a few cute pictures. (Tips on general phone photography here.) 

More Tips and Tricks:
  • Use AE/AF-Lock a lot!
  • If you want a very blurred background, get the flower you want in focus as close to your lens as possible

Category 2: Exhausting But Rewarding Shooting-Sessions in the Garden™ (and inside)
 

Sony Alpha 5000, Standard Lens: E 3.5-5.6, 16-50 mm OSS

Sony Alpha 5000, Zoom Lens: E 4.5-6.3, 55-210mm OSS

Sony Alpha 5000, Zoom Lens: E 4.5-6.3, 55-210mm OSS

Sony Alpha 5000, Zoom Lens: E 4.5-6.3, 55-210mm OSS

Sony Alpha 5000, Zoom Lens: E 4.5-6.3, 55-210mm OSS *

Sony Alpha 5000, Zoom Lens: E 4.5-6.3, 55-210mm OSS

Sony Alpha 5000, Zoom Lens: E 4.5-6.3, 55-210mm OSS *

The second way is very different from the quick and easy i'll-quickly-grab-my-phone method. It includes spending hours sitting on the cold and dirty ground in your garden, tangling and untangling fairy lights in bushes and getting rather severe backaches from that. In the end of the day I always find these kinds of shooting-sessions to be worth the pain but I just want to make clear to you that these are pictures that are - other than the ones in the first category - not taken in a few minutes (unless you're a photography genius and get every shot perfectly right first try).


More Tips and Tricks:
  • (If you can) use lenses that give you a lot of depth of field (very blured background).
  • Always make sure your focus is 100% on point (i ruined countless pictures by not controlling my focus and finding out later that the focus was everywhere but where i wanted it)
  • By holding up flowers right by your lens, you can get coloured 'shades' (or whatever you want to call them). The pictures I did this in are labeled with a *.
Well I hope that was some kind of help to you (I know this post is a mess but I think I've gotten my point across)! See you next time, stay happy and be kind to each others.

xx Solange

* * *
find me on:

click here to hear something nice.

Popular Posts